Smart city is the one which has an urban eco system represented by four pillars of comprehensive development-institutional, physical, social and economic infrastructure, all layered with ‘’smartness.’’ In the approach of the Smart Cities Mission, the objective is to promote cities that provide core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens, a clean and sustainable environment and application of ‘Smart’ Solutions. The focus is on sustainable and inclusive development and the idea is to look at compact areas, create a replicable model which will act like a light house to other aspiring cities.
The core infrastructure elements in a smart city would include:
- adequate water supply
- assured electricity supply
- sanitation, including solid waste management
- efficient urban mobility and public transport
- affordable housing, especially for the poor
- robust IT connectivity and digitalization
- good governance, especially e-Governance and citizen participation
- sustainable environment
- safety and security of citizens, particularly women, children and the elderly, and
- health and education
The application of the Smart components in the daily life of the citizens of the city to ease out the communication, avoid road congestion, better transportation, cleanliness of the street, better lively hood in respect of water supply, sanitation, pollution free environment showing the silver line in the new horizon of the modern India befitting to next Millennium.